A Perth laneway that a young boy was crossing when he was seriously injured in a rubbish truck crash will be closed for the remainder of the school year.
The four-year-old was riding his scooter to school on November 24 when the collision with the heavy vehicle unfolded on Deanmore Rd, next to Scarborough Primary, about 8.30am.
The child suffered a broken leg and neck injuries and was rushed by ambulance to hospital where he underwent surgery.
Watch the latest news and stream for free on 7plus >>
A week on from the emergency, the City of Stirling has agreed to close the privately-owned laneway at both ends for the remaining three weeks of the school term.
“This was done at the request of the young boy’s father and will reduce the risk of any further incidents while the current investigations by the school and WA Police Force take their course,” a council spokesperson told 7NEWS.com.au.
Young child suffers broken leg in rubbish truck crash outside school
Woman seriously injured as she is struck by ute
The boy’s father, John Fogarty, confirmed he had pushed for the closure, which will be temporary.
“It concerned and scared me it hadn’t been done yet to stop the same happening to another kid,” he said.
Fogarty said his boy was discharged from Perth Children’s Hospital on Thursday after surgery to correct the fracture and treatment for ligament damage in his neck.
The father added that his child would be in a wheelchair for up to two months and a neck brace for some time as he recovers.
“He won’t be returning to class (in 2023) but is hopeful he can visit friends before the year’s out,” he said.
A Scarborough laneway has been closed after a child was injured in a rubbish truck crash last week. Credit: Supplied/John Fogarty
The Education Department’s director for the north metropolitan region wished the boy a speedy recovery and said changes had already been made to make the area safer.
“The school has contacted the waste removal company requesting they modify their collection timetable so they’re not accessing school grounds during drop off and pick up times,” she said.
“Support has been offered to anyone who has been impacted by the incident.”
The 54-year-old driver of the rubbish truck was uninjured in the crash and operating company Veolia says it is assisting investigations.
Inquiries remain ongoing but it appears so far that the collision was simply a nasty accident, police said.
No charges have been laid.